Chicken & Gnocchi Soup
The other day my dear friend became ill and, naturally, I felt the need to make soup for him. I threw together some stuff together and it turned out pretty well. Today I share with you my newest creation, Chicken and Gnocchi Soup.
1 Recipe of Basic Gnocchi (recipe here or you can use store-bought)
4-6 c of vegetable or chicken stock (depending on how broth-y you want it)
2 tbsp butter
1/2 c chopped celery
1/2 c chopped carrots
1/4 c chopped leeks
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, smashed
2 tbsp flour (optional. just to thicken the soup.)
1-2 c cooked chicken
1/2 c sweet corn
1 in fresh rosemary (optional. +/-)
salt & black pepper to taste
Because this is a soup, these are all approximate measurements. Adjust to your liking.
This is super easy:
- Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan or stock pot. Saute the vegetables (except the corn).
- Add the stock. Bring up to heat.
- Once the soup is boiling, mix the flour with about equal parts of water and make a paste. Add it to the boiling soup. This thickens it up just slightly and makes for a more “hearty” feeling soup in the end.
- Add the chicken and corn. From this point, you don’t necessarily want the soup to simmer very long. Chicken that is boiled too long gets tough and nasty.
- Let the chicken chillax in the soup for a few minutes to heat up.
- Add the rosemary. Rosemary will lose flavor if it is cooks too long.
- Add the salt and pepper to get the taste right.
Serve! That’s it.